Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thank You, Come Again

Mr Glove is a tall, ambrosial, blond real estate agent. Mr Glove is called Mr Glove because he moved here from the mitten state, where whitetail deer roam free.

Although I haven't asked Mr Glove to indicate where his hometown is on the palm of his right hand, or if his snow blower had more miles on it than his car, I did ask if he's ever experienced the phenomena of deja vu. I experience deja vu on a random yet predictable basis. My experiences are usually due to the temporary symptoms of death I spurt out while popping a squat over the lou after having eaten something just a touch too spicy the night before. I won't bore you with recurrent detailed events, however.

Episode 1: Deja Visite: He picks me up at my condo, and as I get into the car, remarks, "Oh, I used to know someone that lived here in this exact same complex." "Oh, really? That's interesting. I noticed you were parked right outside my window. You're the first person to have ever done that. Are you ready to go rock climbing?" And we head for the freeway.

Episode 2: Sixth Sense: Mr Glove and I arrive at the rock climbing gym. At that precise moment a colleague of his arrives in a sporty 3-series with a blue-eyed muscle boy I vaguely recognize from the gym in a different city. To the best of my knowledge, it was through a random act of mechanical combustion and impeccable timing that they came to the same place without knowledge of our arrival. Introductions pass around the circle like a hot potato, and I pencil the names of two new people into my mental Rolodex, only to misplace it later.

Episode 3: Deja Vecu: After rock climbing, we head back to my condo, and I usher Mr Glove in. He wanders around as I burrow around for sustenance. Looking at me, he asks, "How long have you lived here," his arms crossing his chest. "Oh, since April. My roommates have been here longer, but I don't know how long," I smile toward him over the steel fridge door. His face clouding over, he responds, "You remember how I said I knew someone who lived in this complex? This is the exact same condo they lived in. I remember putting in that lamp, and hanging that ceiling fan, even this flooring- I installed it." I laugh, thinking he's joking, but notice the grim expression afflicting his brow line. "Oh, do you want to go somewhere else? You don't look like you feel good." "Yes, I think that would be best."

Episode 4: Deja visite: We head down the way to an eatery disguised as a flower shop. Inside, we seat ourselves, and our waiter is Mr Flake, someone I had met two years before. He recognises me but doesn't say anything, although he is extra attentive. Mr Glove asks if I know Mr Flake, at which I shrug my shoulders - all I need to know is he's serving us at the moment. Then Glovy says, "I know him from somewhere. I'm going to ask." Mr Flake returns briskly to our table with water. Mr Glove asks him,"Hey, have we met before?" Flaky blinks, leans in, and doesn't recognize Mr Glove, "Um, not that I know of. When was the last time you were here?" "About 3 years ago." "Oh, I've only been here for about 4 months. Maybe you saw me at a party. Do you know so and so?" "No, no I don't. I bet you're just the pretty face in the corner." "Yeah, the pretty face passed out in the corner because I've had too much to drink." At that moment, I learn that Mr Flake isn't only a flake, but also an alcoholic.

Episode 5: Deja Vu: The next day, I drive northward, onward, and upward toward Flagstaff. On the road is a procession of hippies in vans. I pass one pink cream one, and nothing of note, just smoke billowing out the windows. The next van is painted on the back, a picture of the San Francisco Peaks with two UFOs and the words, "Deja Vu" painted above it. I think to myself, "Haven't I had enough already?!" As I pass the van, a man that looks like Jesus with sun glasses looks at me through the window. It's time for a weekend.

No comments: